Spicy Apple Chutney
Spicy apple chutney is a very popular variety of homemade apple chutney. Spicy Apple chutney has a sweet and sour yet spicy flavour which is excellent with hard cheeses such as cheddar ,red leicester ,stilton or indeed even a good brie.
Ingredients for Spicy Apple Chutney
- 225g/8oz onions, finely chopped
- 900g/2lb apples, cored and roughly chopped
- 110g/4oz sultanas or raisins
- 15g/½oz ground coriander
- 15g/½oz paprika
- 15g/½oz mixed spice
- 15g/½oz salt
- 340g/12oz granulated white sugar
- 425ml/¾ pints good malt vinegar
- Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan.Bring to the boil until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Simmer for approx 1½ hours, stirring occasionally to stop the chutney sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
- When the chutney has reduced and thickened and you can see the bottom of the pan when stirring, the apple chutney is ready.
- While still hot fill into pre sterilised jars, seal and allow to cool.
- Store somewhere cool and dark for two to three months. Spicy apple chutney improves greatly with age.